Thursday 4 December 2014

Bhakarwadi

I am very thrilled to announce today's guest post by Sangeeta Pai. I love the way she makes all those complicated recipes with so much of ease. She has great tips and tricks to make amazing recipes in a jiffy. We haven't met each other for real, but I know we will hit it off fabulously when we do....

Over to Sangeeta's kitchen!!


I met Deepti in a cookery group  about 6 months back. And although I haven't even met her personally yet, seems like I already know her so well! Her recipes are so tempting, be it the Hassleback Potatoes with Mushroom Sauce or the innovative way of using Appe Pan to make Cheese Bombs! I need to buy an Appe Pan for my kitchen soon.I prefer to hog rather than blog :P However, I couldn't say "No" to Deepti for a Guest post, so here I am with a recipe that I hope you all will enjoy as much as I and my family did !!


Ingredients :
For the outer roll:

  • Maida (All Purpose flour) - 1 &1/2 cup
  • Besan (Gram flour) - 1/4 cup
  • Rice flour - 1/4 cup (for that crunch)
  • Oil - 3 tbsp
  • Turmeric, Red Chilly powder, ajwain - a pinch each.
  • (I used Oregano as I didn't have ajwain ;))
  • Salt to taste
  • Water

For the filling:

  • Khaskhas (poppy seeds) roasted - 5 tbsp
  • Til (sesame seeds) roasted - 5 tbsp
  • Desiccated coconut - 2 tbsp
  • Peanut roasted & coarsely ground - 1 tbsp (optional)
  • Saunf (fennel seeds) roasted and coarsely ground - 1 tspn
  • Dhania (coriander powder) - 1 tspn
  • Jeera (Cumin powder) - 1/2 tspn
  • Hing (Asafoetida) - a pinch
  • Garam masala - 1/2 tspn
  • Sugar (powdered) -1 tsp
  • Red chilly powder/flakes - 2 tsp
  • 2 green chillies + 1 pc of ginger + 2 cloves of garlic - grind all in mixer
  • Kadipata (Curry leaves) - 1 twig (you can grind along with the GGC paste)
  • Salt to taste (enough for the filling, the dough already contains salt)
  • 2 tbsps tamarind paste for applying on the roti.
  • 1tbsp maida mixed with water to make a paste for sealing the roll
  • Oil for frying.

Method:

  • Knead a fairly firm dough along with the ingredients mentioned above. If the dough is soft, you won't be able to cut it easily and the shape won't come out good.
  • Mix all the spices of the filling.



  • Roll the dough into a chapatti. 


  • Apply the tamarind paste. 


  • Spread the filling on it. 


  • Fold once the sides (to avoid the filling coming out from the edge). 


  • Start to roll from the opposite side till you reach the end & a cylindrical roll is formed. (Apply maida paste to seal the end).

  • Cut into 1 inch size rolls. 


  • Deep fry on medium flame until golden brown. 



  • Once cooled, store in an airtight container in a cool dry place.


PS: You may bake them in an oven too. Brush lightly with butter, preheat the oven on 350 F and cook each side for 10 minutes or until golden brown.


No comments:

Post a Comment